One great thing about living in Southern California is the great temperatures all year round. The bad part is that it has pests all year round too. Recent studies show temperatures rising in Southern California. This will increase pest problems as they develop more rapidly in response to the warmer climate. Pests are experts at home invasion. No matter how hard we try, they will find their way in looking for food, water and a warm place to nest and breed. Not only do these pests become a nuisance but they can become a serious health risk and cause structural damage.
Common Household Pests Found in Southern California
1. Rodents. There are many rodents that live in the area and most homeowners will encounter one or two from time to time. Rodents can include mice and rats and squirrels. The best way to keep them away is to know the signs of an infestation so you can act quickly.
2. Cockroaches. Cockroaches are probably the dirtiest pest you can have in your home. They can carry disease, reproduce quickly and are very difficult to kill. The six main types of cockroaches you may come across include American, Oriental, German, Brownbanded, Smokybrown and Turkestan.
3. Ants. Ants are always a problem in Southern California because this area of the country doesn’t freeze. You can find ants in and out of your home at any time of the year. The most common ants you’ll encounter include Carpenter Ants, Pharaoh Ants, Thief Ants and Argentine Ants. Fire ants are also common and can sting.
4. Spiders. Spiders are also common in Southern California, living in dark hidden areas of your home like the garage or the basement. They can also be found in bushes, trees and any other places they can stay hidden. Spiders are creepy and finding them in your home can be unnerving. Common spiders include Black Widow, Brown Recluse, Trapdoor Spiders, Yellow Sac Spiders and Long Legged Sac Spiders.
5. Termites. Termites are tiny but can cause massive amounts of damage if they are left untreated. The bad news is that Southern California has their fair share of them. The three types of termites you will need to watch for are Subterranean termites, Dry-wood termites and Dampwood termites.
6. Stinging Insects. Stinging insects are probably the most dangerous to deal with because they will sting at the tiniest sign of danger. Stinging insects can be eradicated effectively, and the hives of honey bees can be relocated. Common stinging insects in Southern California include Honey bees, Killer bees, Bumblebees, Hornets, Wasps and Yellow Jackets.
Pest Control Services in San Bernardino, Orange, Los Angeles, Riverside & San Diego Counties, California
There are lots of reasons that make Southern California a great place to live, but that doesn’t mean you have to live with pests. The right pest control company can easily manage any of these common pests in the most effective way. Contact Animal Pest Management Services, Inc. to start pest control today!